Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Half Marathon

It’s been a while since I updated this blog. Much has happened in my life. Before I start, let me say that my MS has been stable, no exacerbations. I still struggle over what I want to do, what I can do, and what is good for me to do.


As I’ve written previously I am a runner. Running is my barometer which I use to check myself. If I can run then I’m okay. I decided to train to run a ½ marathon. I don’t know if other people with MS have done this or even if the training and race would be too taxing on my body. I decided to take it day by day, see how I felt and, well, go for it. I searched the internet for a training regimen geared toward intermediate runners to get myself ready to go from running 4 miles to running 13.1 miles. I trained for 12 weeks, steadily increasing my mileage. By race day I found myself in the best shape of my life. I trained 5 and sometimes 6 days a week, with one long run each week. I lost 10 pounds.


On the day of the race it was foggy and cool. Perfect. I ran the 13.1 miles in around 2 hours. I never walked, even when other healthy-looking people were walking. When I crossed the finish and put the “finisher” medal around my neck, I remember the pride and excitement of finishing my first marathon. I wanted to shout to everyone around me and to the spectators lining the road, “I just finished a ½ marathon and I have MS!”

No comments: